11 security personnel martyred in terrorist attack on checkpost in Bajaur: ISPR

0
6
Image Credit:AFP/File

BAJAUR,Pakistan (Dawn) – A terrorist attack, involving an explosive-laden vehicle, on a checkpost in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bajaur district martyred 11 security personnel, the military’s media wing said on Tuesday.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), “On February 16, a cowardly terrorist attack was attempted on security forces and law enforcement agencies’ joint check Post in Bajaur District by Khwarij belonging to Indian Proxy, Fitna al Khwarij.

Fitna-al-Khawarij is a term that the state uses for the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan.

The statement added that 12 terrorists were eliminated after security forces retaliated and “engaged the fleeing khwarij with precision”.

“In their desperation, the attackers rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the perimeter wall. Due to the blast impact infrastructure at check post collapsed resultantly eleven brave sons of soil, rendered the ultimate sacrifice and [embracing] martyrdom.”

ISPR elaborated that the blast affected residential buildings in the area as well, “leading to the martyrdom of one innocent young girl”.

Another seven people were injured, including women and children, the ISPR said.

“Sanitisation operations are being conducted to eliminate any other Indian sponsored kharji found in the area as a relentless Counter Terrorism campaign under vision “Azm e Istehkam” (as approved by Federal Apex Committee on National Action Plan) by security forces and law enforcement agencies of Pakistan will continue at full pace to wipe out menace of foreign sponsored and supported terrorism from the country,” the statement added.

“The sacrifices of our brave soldiers and innocent civilians further reinforce our unwavering commitment to safeguarding our nation at all costs,” the statement concluded.

President, PM condemn attack

President Asif Ali Zardari condemned the terrorist attack and extended condolences to the families of martyrs, according to a statement issued via PPP’s media cell.

“The sacrifice made by the martyrs for the country’s defence further strengthens our resolve,” the president was quoted as saying.

He vowed that the complete elimination of terrorists operating in the country with external support remained the state’s “topmost priority.”

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also expressed sorrow at the loss of lives and condemned the attack in the “strongest terms,” state broadcaster PTV reported.

He extended condolences to the families of the martyrs and prayed for the recovery of the injured, PTV said.

“The entire nation stands with Pakistan’s armed forces in this war against terrorism,” the premier was quoted as saying.

He said the country remained determined to “root out terrorism from the country”.

Noting the elimination of 12 terrorists, the prime minister lauded the security forces for their “timely action”.

“Under the vision of Azm e Istehkam, security forces are gaining major success in the fight against terrorism,” the premier said.

The attack comes days after an additional station house officer was martyred as terrorists attacked a police station in the War Mamund tehsil of Bajaur district.

In December 2025, a major-ranked officer was martyred during an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in the district.

KP has seen a rise in terrorist attacks in the past year. According to the Annual Security Report 2025 from the Centre for Research and Security Studies (CRSS), KP recorded a significant surge in violence last year as “fatalities rose from 1,620 in 2024 to 2,331 in 2025”.

This marked an “absolute increase of 711 deaths, accounting for over 82 per cent of the net national rise and marking almost a 44pc year-on-year surge in violence in the province”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here